Fathers’ Rights

The Rights Of Unmarried Parents In Indiana

When parents divorce, the custody of the children often becomes the central issue of the divorce proceeding. But when a child’s parents have never married one another, how is a custody dispute handled?

And what are the rights of unmarried parents in a child custody dispute in Indiana?

You are about to learn those answers. You’ll also learn where parents in Indiana – whether they are married or unmarried – can obtain a family law attorney in Merrillville.

Unmarried parents share most of the legal custody rights and obligations that other parents have, but Indiana courts handle custody cases that involve unmarried parents in a slightly different way.


In this state, when unmarried parents have a child together, establishing paternity is imperative –for legal and medical reasons and for building a healthy father-child relationship in the years ahead.

It cannot be stressed strongly enough how important it is to establish legal paternity for your child. Legal paternity gives a child the rights to:

1. financial support from both parents
2. the medical records of both parents
3. Social Security and veterans’ benefits
4. life and health insurance benefits

Perhaps more importantly, establishing paternity gives your child the emotional and psychological security of knowing who both parents are.


In the state of Indiana, a man is presumed to be a child’s legal father if he and the mother are married when their child is born, or if the child is born within three hundred days of a final divorce decree.

In all other circumstances, legal paternity in Indiana is established either by a paternity affidavit or by a court order.

In Indiana, a biological father should sign a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity in the first 72 hours after the child’s birth. When the father and mother both sign the Voluntary Declaration of Paternity – hospitals provide the form – the father will be legally recognized as the child’s father.

When a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity is signed at the hospital at the time of birth, state law requires the parents to be physically separated and to sign the document separately – to reduce any possibility of undue influence.


By legally establishing paternity when the child is born, an unmarried father assumes both responsibilities and rights regarding child custody and child support.

Unmarried parents in Indiana should understand that signing a paternity affidavit is always voluntary.

A man has the right to withdraw/rescind his acknowledgment of paternity in Indiana only within sixty days of the date that the paternity affidavit is completed.

Unmarried fathers should understand that beginning sixty days after you sign a paternity affidavit, it probably can never be reversed or “undone.”

If you are – or if you’re about to become – an unmarried parent in Indiana, before you sign a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity, have your questions and concerns about your parental rights and responsibilities answered by an experienced Lake County family law attorney.

You’ll get the sound legal advice, guidance, and insights that an unmarried parent in this state is very much going to need.


Paternity can be established at a later time if it is not established at the time of a child’s birth. A good family attorney can initiate a paternity action on an unmarried father’s behalf.

In most of these cases, paternity can be legally established if the parents agree to acknowledge the father’s paternity and submit a jointly-signed declaration of paternity to the court.

When an Indiana court accepts that declaration and legal fatherhood is established, the court may then issue appropriate custody, visitation, and child support orders if necessary.

In disputed paternity cases, a court may order genetic testing before it issues a custody order. Genetic testing must be conducted by an accredited laboratory.


In the 21st century, young adults are increasingly avoiding or delaying marriage and choosing cohabitation instead. But what happens if – after years of cohabiting and co-parenting – unmarried parents decide to go their separate ways and a child custody battle ensues?

A skilled family lawyer can help an unmarried parent decide if legal action is needed to protect that parent’s custody rights.

Whether married or unmarried, a parent with legal custody has the authority to make the major decisions about a child’s environment and upbringing – decisions about the child’s education, healthcare, and social and extracurricular activities.

If a child’s custody is in dispute, and if the parents cannot reach their own voluntary agreement, mediation is usually the first step in resolving the dispute. If a child custody mediation fails, the case goes to court, and after a custody hearing, an Indiana judge will issue a custody order.


In Indiana’s state courts, the best interests of the child will be the leading consideration in a child custody case. To make what it believes is the best custody determination, the court will seek the answers to these questions:

1. Who is the child’s primary caregiver?
2. What is the financial situation of the parents?
3. Does either parent have a criminal history?
4. Is there evidence of alcohol, drug, or domestic abuse?

If a child is mature enough, the court may also take into account the child’s preference in a custody dispute, but once again, a court will base its final custody determination on what it believes to be the best interests of the child.


An unmarried parent with the sole legal custody of a child may seek child support. Child support orders and amounts in this state are based exclusively on the parents’ incomes and the children’s needs – and not on the parents’ marital status.

A family law attorney can help unmarried parents in Indiana with paternity actions, child custody disputes, child support requests, and any other matter of family law. Parenthood is a trying and difficult job, and parents need all of the help they can get.

If you need advice and/or representation regarding any matter of family law in Indiana, and especially if you are an unmarried parent in a child custody dispute, get the legal help you need as early as possible – because nothing is more important than your child.

Shared Parenting with Burger Queen Nets $19k a Month for Father

Lynsi Torres inherited the family business. She owns In-N-Out Burger which is a successful hamburger chain on the west coast. The shared parenting arrangement she has with her ex-husband means that she will be paying him $19,000 per month in child support. Indiana fathers may find it comforting to know they are not the only ones that pay child support.

There seems to be a presumption that the father will be the one paying child support if the couple gets divorced. This is not always the case. Even though Torres and her ex-husband have joint custody of their now 8-year-old twins, it is Torres that has been made responsible for paying support. She will also be responsible for the twins’ private school tuition.

The prenuptial agreement signed by the couple before their marriage in 2004 stops short of providing spousal support for her now ex-husband. However, the fact that she is paying him child support is a testament to the fact that fathers’ rights have advanced to the point where they are also eligible to receive support for the children when the situation warrants it. In addition, more children whose parents are divorced are getting equal time with their parents.

There are many divorced couples in Indiana that enjoy shared parenting time with their children. As a result, there may be fathers that are receiving child support instead of paying it. With more and more women in the workforce making more money than their husbands, it is possible that there could be an increase in mothers paying child support in the future. The way that child support guidelines are, it is not only possible, but probable that more women are paying child support than at any other time in our history.

Source: Huffington Post, “Lynsi Torres, In-N-Out Owner, To Pay $19K Per Month In Child Support,” Feb. 7, 2013